19 August 2012

Weekend Adventure

Yesterday I went to the Hongkou district with some Norwegians to visit a park and a genuine Chinese market street. The weather was (unfortunately) lovely, which meant 36°C and sunny. There were not many people in the park, except for a large group of elderly playing mahjong and Chinese chess. 






The market street was narrow, crowded and stinky. It was packed with vendors selling everything from sheets to eel. We were the only foreigners there, all with a very Scandinavian appearance, which made the Chinese look even more at us.

I ended up only buying some fruit, but I helped the Norwegians bargain for some sheets and cleaning utilities. It was an interesting day that made us all extremely tired. However, I like making these types of excursions to non-typical tourist attractions, because it gets me closer to the "real" China. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment