25 May 2011

Qipao Hunting

Suddenly it's all about the Culture Week performance and all the teachers are very enthusiastic. They asked me what I was planning on wearing, and I said that it was up to them to decide what was appropriate. Half of them thought a long dress would look nice, while the other half considered a qipao to be the only appropriate outfit for that song.

A qipao is the traditional Chinese dress that women wear at special occasions. I already have two back home, one that I purchased for my participation in the Chinese Bridge competition in 2009, and one I got in February this year when I sang the same song (I Love You China) at a Chinese Spring Festival celebration in Stockholm. None of them are really fitting or well-cut so I didn't bother to bring them with me to China. I have been planning on tailor making one here instead. The problem is that I haven't found any reasonable tailor, they are all extremely "touristy", the fabrics are of no good quality and the prices are ridiculous.
        Qipao

Anyway, today after trying on 57 different dresses (all extremely hideous) the teachers agreed that a qipao would look much better. It is only about a week until the performance and I told the teachers that I need to tailor make one if it should be worth buying one. "Okay, go to the tailor at campus" they said. I tried to inform them that I already had and that the tailor wanted 650 yuan (ca 650 SEK ca 100 USD) and I was not willing to pay that much for the fabrics he had. "No, you have to go to Mr. Lu at the West gate!" the teachers replied. I was very sceptic. However, I did as the teachers said and started walking to the opposite end of campus. There is only a fruit store there and then the gate, so I thought I would have seen it before. But behind the fruit store in a little room without windows sat Mr. Lu among half-finished garments, fabrics and sewing cotton.

Ten minutes after I entered the store Mr. Lu had taken my measurements, I had picked a fabric and told him what type of qipao I wanted. I could see a few samples of his work and the qipao:s were beautiful. Outside the door he had hung pictures of previous customers in their tailored garments, the pictures on the top were in black and white, which indicates that he has probably had his shop for many many years. The price came to 380 yuan, which seemed much more reasonable. I paid half of it and will return on Friday to try the dress. Within three days Mr. Lu finishes any garment ordered. I love you, China.

No comments:

Post a Comment