5 September 2010

I'M IN CHINA!

Day 1

We arrived early in the morning on the 3rd of September, when our bodies felt the time as 1 am. After only one or two hours of sleep on the plane, we started a whole new day at 7 am in China. We were extremely confused, tired and unclean when we got in a taxi to go and leave our suitcases in our friend Georgies' dorm. The taxi ride took nearly 2 hours because of the morning traffic and cost 110 RMB~120 kr~12€~11£~16$. Taxi in China is cheap.

The first day we spent 4 hours at my university trying to registrate. According to my addmission notice I was supposed to sign in in The Entrance Hall in Building no. 1. When we got there a sign told us to go to Building no. 3 Room 109. When we got there at noon a sign said that lunch break was between 11:40-14:00. Fun.

Two hours later we knocked at the door to Room no. 109 in Building no. 3 and an angry Chinese man told us that registration was in The Entrance Hall in Building no. 1. We tried to explain that we had been there and that someone sent us to him. But no luck. We just had to go back.

Before we left, the angry Chinese man told us that there were two entrances to Building no. 1. We had just gone to the wrong entrance. Anna and I walked back and saw the registration tents they had put up. We felt so stupid wasting that much time when it had been there all the time.

I got a folder and was told to sign the forms inside. I only found a paper with rules of safety that I signed, which was pretty simple. Then I went to the next registration line. When it was my turn a woman told me that I had had to sign a form which was not in my folder. So I went back to the first tent again.

I got the form and filled it in and went to the second registration tent again. I gave them the 10 photos I had prepared, my passport, my admission notice and the form.

"What is your room number?"
"I don't have a room yet."
"Oh, you need to registrate for accommodation first."

So, we left the tents and went to the opposite side of the campus to get my room. We went to The Reception in Building no. 1 and no. 2 to figure out what dorm I was in. After that we went to my dorm, which was number 9. There I got my room key and an accommodation receipt.

Then we went back to the tents and were put in a line for physical check-up, that I also tried to explain that I had already done in Sweden. But no luck. The queue was long and after 15 minutes with no movement we decided to come back the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment